Sunday, September 3, 2017

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA - AADI PARVA - CHAITRARATHA (UPA) PARVA - PART 174


“The Gandharva continued, ‘When that lady disappeared, that feller of hostile ranks (King Samvarana) deprived of his senses by Kaamaa himself fell down on the earth. As the monarch fell down, that lady of sweet smiles, prominent and round hips appeared again before him, and smiling sweetly, said to that preserver of Kuru’s race these honeyed words, ‘Rise, rise, O punisher of enemies! Blessed be you; O tiger among kings, it is not your duty to lose your reason, a celebrated man as you are in the world.’

“Addressed in these honeyed words, the king (Samvarana) opened his eyes and saw before him that same girl of swelling hips. The monarch who was burning with the flame of Kaamaa then addressed that black-eyed lady in accents, weak with emotion, and said, ‘Blessed be you, O excellent woman of black eyes! As I am burning with Kaamaa and paying you court, O, accept me! My life is diminishing away. O you of large eyes, O you of the splendour of the filaments of the lotus, for your sake it is that Kaamaa is incessantly piercing me with his sharp arrows without stopping for a moment! O friendly and cheerful girl, I have been bitten by Kaamaa who is like a venomous snake. O you of swelling and large hips, have mercy on me! O you of handsome and faultless features, O you of face like to the lotus-petal or the moon, O you of voice sweet as that of singing Kinnaras, my life now depends on you! Without you, O faint-hearted one, I am unable to live! O you of eyes like lotus-petals, Kaamaa is piercing me incessantly! O large-eyed girl, be merciful to me! O black-eyed maid, it becomes you not to throw me off; O handsome girl, it is your duty to relieve me from such pain by giving me your love! At first sight, you have attracted my heart. My mind wanders! Looking you I like not to direct my eyes on any other woman! Be merciful! I am your obedient slave -- your adorer! O, accept me! O beautiful lady, O large-eyed girl at the sight of you, the Kaamadeva has entered my heart, and is piercing me with his arrows! O you of lotus-eyes, the flame of Kaamaa burns within me! O, extinguish that flame with the water of your love poured on it! O beautiful lady, by becoming mine, you pacify the irrepressible Kaamadeva that has appeared here armed with his deadly bow and arrows and that is piercing me constantly with those sharp arrows of his! O you of the fairest complexion, wed me according to the Gandharva form, for, O you of narrowing hips, of all forms of marriage the Gandharva has been said to be the best.


“The Gandharva continued, ‘Hearing those words of the monarch (Samvarana), Tapati made answer, ‘O king, I am not the mistress of my own self! Be it known that I am a lady under the control of my father. If you really entertain an affection for me, demand me of my father. O king, you say that your heart has been robbed by me. But you also have, at first sight, robbed me of my heart; I am not the mistress of my body, and therefore, O best of kings, I do not approach you; women are never independent. What girl is there in the three worlds that would not desire you for her husband, as you are kind to all your dependents and as you are born in a pure race? Therefore, when the opportunity comes, ask my father Aditya (Lord Surya) for my hand with worship, Tapas, and vows (Vrata in Sanskrit). If my father gives me upon thee, then, O king, I shall ever be your obedient wife. O bull amongst Kshatriyas (King Samvarana), my name is Tapati and I am the younger sister of Savitri, and the daughter of Savitri, of (Sun) the illuminator of the universe.’” 

No comments:

Post a Comment