Monday, August 14, 2017

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA - AADI PARVA - HIDIMBA VADHA (UPA) PARVA - PART 154


“Vaishampaayana said, ‘Not far from the place where the Pandavas were asleep, a Raakshasa by name Hidimba stayed on the Shaala tree (botanical name is Shorea robusta). Possessed of great energy and capabilities, he was a cruel Raakshasa of face that was frightful in consequence of his sharp and long teeth. He was now hungry and longing for human flesh. Of long legs and a large belly, his hair and beard were both red in colour. His shoulders were broad like the neck of a tree; his ears were like to arrows, and his features were frightful. Of red eyes and fearful face, the Rakshasa saw, while casting his looks around, the Pandavas sleeping in those woods. He was then hungry and longing for human flesh. Shaking his dry and grizzly hair and scratching them with his fingers pointed upwards, the large-mouthed Rakshasa repeatedly looked at the sleeping Pandavas yawning unhappily at times.

“Of huge body and great strength, of complexion like the colour of a mass of clouds, of teeth long and sharp-pointed and face emitting a sort of lustre, he was ever pleased with human flesh. Scenting the odour of man, he addressed his sister, saying, ‘O sister, it is after a long time that such agreeable food has approached me! My mouth waters at the anticipated relish of such food. I shall, today, after a long time, with my eight teeth, so sharp-pointed and incapable of being resisted by any substance, put into the most delicious flesh. Attacking the human throat and opening the veins, I shall (today) drink a plentiful quantity of human blood, hot, fresh and frothy. Go and confirm who these are, lying asleep in these woods. The strong scent of man pleases my nostrils. Slaughtering all these men, bring them to me. They sleep within my territory. You need to have no fear from them. Do my command soon, for we shall then together eat their flesh, tearing off their bodies at pleasure. After feasting to our fill on human flesh we shall then dance together to various measures!’

“O bull of Bharata's race (Janamejaya), thus addressed by Hidimba in those woods, Hidimba, the Raakshasi, at the command of her brother, went to the spot where the Pandavas were. On going there, she saw the Pandavas asleep with their mother and the invincible Bhimasena sitting awake. Looking Bhimasena unrivalled on earth for beauty and like to a vigorous Shaala tree (botanical name is Shorea robusta), the Raakshasa woman (Hidimba) immediately fell in love with him, and she said to herself, ‘This person of colour like heated gold and of mighty arms, of broad shoulders as the lion, and so maginificient, of neck marked with three lines like a conch-shell and eyes like lotus-petals, is worthy of being my husband. I shall not obey the cruel mandate of my brother. A woman's love for her husband is stronger than her affection for her brother. If I slay him, my brother's gratification as well as mine will only be momentary. But if I slay him not, I can enjoy, with him (Bhimasena) for ever and ever.’


“Thus saying, the Raakshasi, capable of assuming form at will, assumed an excellent human form and began to advance with slow steps towards Bhima of mighty arms. Decorated with divine ornaments she advanced with smiles on her lips and a modest walk, and addressing Bhima said, ‘O bull among men, from where have you come here and who are you? In addition, who are these persons of divine beauty sleeping here? O sinless one, also who is this lady of supernatural beauty sleeping so trustfully in these woods as if she were lying in her own chamber? Do you not know that this forest is the abode of a Rakshasa. Truly do I say, here lives the wicked Raakshasa called Hidimba. O beings of divine beauty, I have been sent here by that Raakshasa -- my brother -- with the cruel intent of killing you for his food. But I tell you truly that seeing you (Bhimasena) magnificient as a Deva, I would have none else for my husband except you! You who are familiar with all duties, knowing this, do to me what is proper. My heart as well as my body has been pierced by (the arrows of) Kaamaa (Cupid). O, as I am desirous of obtaining you, make me yours. O you of mighty arms, I will rescue you from the Rakshasa (Hidimba) who eats human flesh. O sinless one, you be my husband. We shall then live on the chests of mountains inaccessible to ordinary mortals. I can travel the air and I do so at pleasure. You may enjoy great happiness with me in those regions.’

“Hearing these words of hers, Bhima replied, ‘O Raakshasi, who can, like a Muni having all his passions under control, abandon his sleeping mother and elder and younger brothers? What man like me would go to satisfy his kaamaa, leaving his sleeping mother and brothers as food for a Rakshasa?’

“The Raakshasi replied, ‘O, awaken all these, I shall do to you all that is agreeable to you! I shall certainly rescue you all from my Raakshasa brother.’

“Bhima then said, ‘O Raakshasi, I will not, from fear of your wicked brother, awaken my brothers and mother sleeping comfortably in the foirest. O scared one, Raakshasas are never able to bear the ability of my arms. O you of handsome eyes, neither men, nor Gandharvas, nor Yakshas are able to bear my might. O friendly one, you may stay or go as you like, or may even send your Raakshasa brother, O you of delicate shape. I care not.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment