Tuesday, August 15, 2017

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA - AADI PARVA - HIDIMBA VADHA (UPA) PARVA - PART 155


“Vaishampaayana said, ‘Hidimba, the chief of the Raakshasas, seeing that his sister returned not soon enough, descended from the tree, proceeded quickly to the spot where the Pandavas were. Of red eyes, strong arms and the arms and the hair of his head standing erect, of large open mouth and body like to a mass of dark clouds, teeth long and sharp-pointed, he was terrible to look. Hidimba, seeing her brother of frightful face descend from the tree, became very much alarmed, and addressing Bhima said, ‘The wicked Raakshasa is coming here in anger. I beg you, do with your brothers, as I propose you. O you of great courage, as I am endued with the powers of a Raakshasa, I am capable of going wheresoever I like. You mount on my hips, I will carry you all through the skies. O punisher of enemies, awaken these and your mother sleeping in comfort. Taking them all on my body, I will take you through the skies.’

“Bhima then said, ‘O you of fair hips, fear not anything. I am sure that as long as I am here, there is no Raakshasa capable of injuring any of these, O you of slender waist. I will slay this (Raakshasa) before thy very eyes. O scared one, this worst of Raakshasas is no worthy opponent of mine, nor can all the Raakshasas together bear the strength of my arms. Look at these strong arms of mine, each like to the trunk of an elephant. Also, look at these thighs of mine like to iron maces, and this broad and unable-to-be-broken chest. O beautiful one, you shall today see my skills like to that of (Lord) Indra. O you of fair hips, hate me not, thinking that I am a man.’

“Hidimba replied saying, ‘O tiger among men, O you of the beauty of a Deva, I do not certainly hold you in disrespect. But I have seen the abilities that Raakshasas exert upon men.’
“Vaishampaayana continued, ‘O Bharata (Janamejaya), then the angry Raakshasa eating human flesh heard these words of Bhima who had been talking in that way. Hidimba saw his sister disguised in human form, her head decorated with garlands of flowers, her face like the full moon and her eyebrows and nose and eyes and ringlets all of the beautiful description, and her nails and complexion of the most delicate colour, and herself wearing every kind of ornament and attired in fine transparent garments. The Raakshasa, seeing her in that charming human form, suspected that she was desirous of physical intercourse and became angry.

“O best of the Kurus (Janamejaya), becoming angry with his sister, the Raakshasa widened his eyes and addressing her said, ‘What senseless creature wishes to throw obstacles in my path now that I am so hungry? O Hidimba, have you become so senseless that you do not fear my anger? Shame on you, you unchaste woman! You are now desirous of physical intercourse and thoughtful of doing me an injury. You are ready to sacrifice the good name and honour of all the Raakshasas, your ancestors! Those with whose aid you would do me this great injury, I will now, slay along with you.’


“Addressing his sister thus, Hidimba, with eyes red with anger and teeth pressing against teeth, ran at her to kill her then and there. But seeing him rush at his sister, Bhima, that foremost of attackers, endued with great energy, scolded him and said, ‘Stop--Stop!’

“Vaishampaayana continued, ‘Bhima, seeing the Raakshasa angry with his sister, smiled (in mockery), and said, addressing him, ‘O Hidimba, what need is there for you to awaken these persons sleeping so comfortably? O wicked Raakshasa, approach me first without loss of time. Attack me first -- it is your duty not to kill a woman, especially when she has been acted against sin instead of sinning. This girl is scarcely responsible for her act in desiring intercourse with me. She has, in this, been moved by the Kaamadeva that occupies every living form. You wicked wretch and the most infamous of Raakshasas, your sister came here at your command. Seeing my person, she desired me. In that, the frightened girl did no injury to you. It is the Kaamadeva that has offended. It is your duty not to injure her for this offence. O wicked wretch, you shall not slay a woman when I am here. Come with me, O Raakshasa, and fight with myself singly. Singly shall I send you today to Yamloka. O Raakshasa, let your head today, pressed by my might, be crushed to pieces, as though pressed by the walk of a mighty elephant. When you are slain by me on the battlefield, let herons, hawks and jackals tear in happiness your bodyparts today on the ground. In a moment I shall today make this forest empty of Raakshasas,--this forest that had so long been ruled by you, eater of human beings! Your sister, O Raakshasa, shall today see yourself, though huge you are like a mountain, like a huge elephant repeatedly dragged by a lion. O worst of Raakshasas, yourself slain by me, men travelling these forest will from now on do so safely and without fear.’

“Hearing these words, Hidimba said, ‘O man, What need is there for this your self-praise and this your boast? Accomplish all this first, and then you may boast indeed. Therefore, you delay not. You know yourself to be strong and endued with capabilities, so you shall rightly estimate your strength today in your encounter with me. Until that, I will not slay these (your brothers). Let them sleep comfortably. But I will, as you are a fool and the utterer of evil speeches, slay you first. After drinking your blood, I will slay these also, and then last of all, this (sister of mine) that has done me an injury.’

“Vaishampaayana continued, ‘Saying this, the Raakshasa, extending his arms ran in anger towards Bhimasena, that punisher of enemies. Then Bhima of terrible courage quickly catched, as though in sport, with great force, the extended arms of the Rakshasa who had rushed at him. Then catching the struggling Raakshasa with violence, Bhima dragged him from that spot full thirty-two cubits (one cubit equals the length of a forearm) like a lion dragging a little animal. Then the Raakshasa, thus made to feel the weight of Bhima's strength, became very angry and clasping the Pandava (Bhimasena), sent forth a terrible yell. The mighty Bhima then dragged with force the Raakshasa to a greater distance, with the intention that his yells should not awaken his brothers sleeping in comfort. Clasping and dragging each other with great force, both Hidimba and Bhimasena put forth their bravery. Fighting like two full-grown elephants mad with anger, they then began to break down the trees and tear the creepers that grew around. At those sounds, those tigers among men (the sleeping Pandavas) woke up with their mother, and saw Hidimba sitting before them.’” 

No comments:

Post a Comment