Sunday, June 4, 2017

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA - AADI PARVA - SAMBHAVA (UPA) PARVA - PART 105


"Bhishma continued, 'O mother (Satyavati), listen to me as I indicate the means by which the Bharata line may be preserved. Let an accomplished Brahmana be invited by an offer of wealth, and let him raise offspring upon the wives of Vichitravirya.'

"Vaishampaayana continued, 'Satyavati, then, smiling softly and in voice broken in shyness, addressed Bhishma saying, 'O Bharata of mighty arms (Bhishma), what you say is true. From my confidence in you I shall now indicate the means of preserving our line. You shall not be able to reject it, as you are being knowledgeable with the practices permitted in seasons of distress. In our race, you are Dharma, and you are Truth, and you too are our sole refuge. Therefore hearing what I say truly, do what may be proper.

"My father was a man of Dharma. For the sake of Dharma, he had kept a (ferry) boat. One day, in the prime of my youth, I went to ply that boat. It so happened that the great and wise Rishi Paraasharaa, that foremost of all men of Dharma, came and betook himself to my boat for crossing the Yamuna. As I was rowing him across the river, the Rishi became excited with Kaamaa and began to address me in soft words. The fear of my father was uppermost in my mind. But the terror of the Rishi's curse at last prevailed. Having obtained from him a precious boon, I could not refuse his request. The Rishi (Paraasharaa) by his energy brought me under his complete control, and satisfied his Kaamaa then and there, having first enveloped the region in a thick fog.

"Before this there was a disgusting fishy odour in my body; but the Rishi (Paraasharaa) dispelled it and gave me my present fragrance. The Rishi also told me that by bringing forth his child in an island of the river, I would still continue (to be) a virgin. The child of (Rishi) Paraasharaa so born of me in my maidenhood has become a Maharishi endued with large powers of Tapas and known by the name of Dwaipayana (meaning the island-born). That illustrious Rishi having by his power of Tapas divided the Vedas into four parts has come to be called on earth by the name of Vyasa (meaning the divider or arranger), and for his dark colour, Krishna (the dark).

"Truthful in speech, free from passion, a Maharishi who has burnt all his sins, he went away with his father immediately after his birth. Appointed by me and you also, that Rishi of incomparable splendour will certainly father good children upon the wives of your brother (Vichitravirya). He (Maharishi Veda Vyasa) told me when he went away, 'Mother (Satyavati), think of me when you are in difficulty.' I will now call him up, if you, O Bhishma of mighty arms so desire. If you art willing, O Bhishma, I am sure that Maharishi (Vyasa) will father children upon Vichitravirya's field (Vichitravirya's wives - Ambika and Ambalika).'


"Vaishampaayana continued, 'Mention being made of the Maharishi, Bhishma with joined palms said, 'That man is truly intelligent who fixes his eyes judiciously on Dharma, Arthaa, and Kaamaa, and who after thinking with patience, acts in such a way that Dharma may lead to future Dharma, Arthaa to future Arthaa and Kaamaa to future Kaamaa. Therefore, that which has been said by you and which, besides being beneficial to us, is consistent with Dharma, is certainly the best advice and has my full approval.'

"O thou of Kuru's race (Janamejaya), when Bhishma had said this Kaali (Satyavati) thought of the Muni Dwaipayana (Maharishi Vyasa) and Dwaipayana who was then engaged in interpreting the Vedas, learning that he was being called up by his mother, came instantly to her without anybody's knowing it. Satyavati then duly greeted her son and embraced him with arms, bathing him in her tears, for the daughter of the fisherman (Satyavati) wept bitterly at the sight of her son after so long a time. Her first son, the great Vyasa, seeing her weeping, washed her with cool water, and bowing to her, said, 'O mother (Satyavati)I have come to fulfil your wishes. Therefore, O one of Dharma, command me without delay. I shall accomplish your desire.' 

"The family priest of the Bharatas then worshipped the Maharishi (Vyasa) duly, and the latter accepted the offerings of worship, uttering the usual mantras. Pleased with the worship he received, he took his seat. Satyavati, seeing him seated at his ease, after the usual inquiries, addressed him and said, 'O learned one (Vyasa), sons derive their birth both from the father and the mother. They are, therefore, the common property of both parents. There cannot be the least doubt about it that the mother, has as much power over them as the father. As you are, indeed, my eldest son according to Shastras, O Brahmarshi, so is Vichitravirya my youngest son. As Bhishma is Vichitravirya's brother on the father's side, so are you his brother on the same mother's side. I do not know what you may think, but this is what, O son, I think. This Bhishma, the son of Shantanu, devoted to truth, do not, for the sake of truth, entertain the desire of either fathering children or ruling the kingdom. Therefore, from affection for your brother Vichitravirya, for the preservation of our (Bharata) dynasty, for the sake of this Bhishma's request and my command, for kindness to all creatures, for the protection of the people and from the liberality of your heart, O sinless one, it is your duty to do what I say. Your younger brother (Vichitravirya) has left two widows like to the daughters Devas themselves, endued with youth and great beauty. For the sake of virtue and Dharma, they have become desirous of offspring. You are the fittest person to be appointed. Therefore father upon them children worthy of our race and for the continuance of our line.'


"Vyasa, hearing this, said, 'O Satyavati, you know what Dharma is both in respect of this life and the other. O you of great wisdom, your affections also are set on Dharma. Therefore, at your command, making Dharma my motive, I shall do what you desire. Indeed, this practice that is conformable to the true and eternal Dharma is known to me, I shall give to my brother children that shall be like to Mitra and Varuna. Let the ladies then duly observe for one full year the vow (Vrata in Sanskrit) I indicate. They shall then be purified. No women shall ever approach me without having observed a rigid vow.'

"Satyavati then said, 'O sinless one, it must be as you say. Take such steps that the ladies may conceive immediately. In a kingdom where there is no king, the people perish from want of protection; yagnas and other holy acts are suspended; the clouds send no showers; and Devas disappear. How can a kingdom be protected that has no king? Therefore, you see that the ladies conceive. Bhishma will watch over the children as long as they are in their mother's wombs.

"Vyasa replied, 'If I am to give to my brother children so unseasonably, then let the ladies bear my ugliness. That in itself shall, in their case, be the severest of penances. If the princess of Koshala (Ambika and Ambalika) can bear my strong odour, my ugly and grim looks, my attire and body, she shall then conceive an excellent child.'"

"Vaishampaayana continued, 'Having spoken thus to Satyavati, Vyasa of great energy addressed her and said, 'Let the princess of Koshala dressed in clean attire and decked with ornaments wait for me in her bed-chamber.'

"Saying this, the Rishi (Vyasa) disappeared, Satyavati then went to her daughter-in-law and seeing her in private spoke to her these words of beneficial and meaning of Dharma, 'O princess of Koshala, listen to what I say. It is consistent with Dharma. The dynasty of the Bharatas has become extinct from my misfortune. Seeing my pain and the extinction of his paternal line, the wise Bhishma, driven also by the desire of preserving our race, has made me a suggestion, which suggestion, however, for its accomplishment is dependent on you. O daughter, accomplish it and restore the lost line of the Bharatas. O you of fair hips, you bring forth a child equal in splendour to the chief of Devas (Lord Indra). He shall bear the heavy burden of this our hereditary kingdom.'

"Satyavati having succeeded with great difficulty in procuring the assent of her Dharmic daughter-in-law to her proposal which was not inconsistent with Dharma, then fed Brahmanas and Rishis and numberless guests who arrived on die occasion.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment