Friday, May 26, 2017

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA - AADI PARVA - SAMBHAVA (UPA) PARVA - PART 92


"Ashtaka asked, 'O king (Yayaati), who among these both exerting constantly like the Sun and the Moon, first attains to union with (Lord) Brahma, the Rishi or the man of knowledge?'

"Yayaati answered, 'The wise, with the help of the Vedas and of Knowledge, having ascertained the visible universe to be illusory (Maayaa in Sanskrit), instantly realises the Supreme Spirit as the sole existent independent essence. While they that devote themselves to Yoga meditation take time to acquire the same knowledge, for it is by practice alone that these latter relieve themselves of the consciousness of quality. Hence the wise attain to Moksha first.

"Then again if the person devoted to Yoga find not sufficient time in one life to attain success, being led away from the path by the attractions of the world, in his next life he is benefited by the progress already achieved, for he devotes himself regretfully to the pursuit of success.

"But the man of knowledge ever sees the indestructible unity, and, is, therefore, though soaked in worldly enjoyments, never affected by them at heart. Therefore, there is nothing to obstruct his Moksha. He, however, who fails to attain to knowledge, should yet devote himself to duty as dependent on action (yagnas etc.). But he that devotes himself to such duty, moved thereto by desire of Moksha, can never achieve success. His sacrifices bear no fruit and consume of the nature of cruelty. Duty which is dependent on action that proceeds not from the desire of fruit, is, in case of such men Yoga itself.'

"Ashtaka said, 'O king (Yayaati), you look like a young man; you are handsome and decked with a divine garland. Your splendour is great! From what place do you come and where do you go? Whose messenger are you? Are you going down into the Earth?'

"Yayaati said, 'Fallen from heaven upon the loss of all my merits of Dharma, I am doomed to enter the Earth-hell (Bhauma). Indeed, I shall go there after I have finished my conversation with you. Even now the lokapalas (administers of the Universe) command me to hurry there. O king (Ashtaka), I have obtained it as a boon from (Lord) Indra that though fall I must upon the earth, yet I should fall amidst the wise and the people of Dharma. You are all wise and Dharmic that are assembled here.'

"Ashtaka said, 'You are familiar with everything. O king, I ask you are there any regions for myself to enjoy in heaven or in the sky? If there be, then, you shall not fall, though falling.'

"Yayaati answered, 'O king (Ashtaka), there are as many regions for you to enjoy in heaven as the number of cows and horses on Earth with the animals in the wilderness and on the hills.'

"Ashtaka said, 'O king (Yayaati), if there are worlds for me to enjoy, as fruits of my merits of Dharma, in heaven, I give them all to you. Therefore, though falling, you shall not fall. O, you take all those soon, wherever they be, in heaven or in the sky. Let thy sorrow cease.'


"Yayaati answered, 'O best of kings (Ashtaka), Brahma-knowing Brahmana alone can take in gift, but not one like ourselves. O monarch (Ashtaka), I myself have given away to Brahmanas as one should. Let no man who, is not a Brahmana and let not the wife of a learned Brahmana ever live in ill fame by accepting gifts. While on earth, I ever desired to perform acts of Dharma. Having never done so before, how shall I now accept a gift?'

"Pratardana who was amongst them asked, 'O you of handsome form, I am Pratardana by name. I ask you if there are any worlds for me to enjoy as fruits of my merits of Dharma, in heaven or the sky? Answer me, you are familiar with everything.'

"Yayaati said, 'O king (Pratardana), numberless worlds, full of fortune, bright like the solar disc, and where sadness can never stay, awaits you. If you stay in each but for seven days, they would not yet be exhausted.'

"Pratardana said, 'These then I give to you. Therefore, though falling, you must not fall. Let the worlds that are mine be yours, whether they be in the sky or heaven. O, soon take them. Let your worries cease.'

"Yayaati answered, 'O monarch (Pratardana), no king of equal energy should ever desire to receive as gift the merits of Dharma of another king acquired by Yoga austerities. No king who is pained with calamity through the fates should, if wise, act in a blameable way. A king keeping his eye fixed for ever on Dharma should walk along the path of Dharma like myself and, knowing what his duties are, should not act so meanly as you direct. When others desirous of acquiring merits of Dharma do not accept gifts, how can I do what they themselves do not?'

"Vaishampaayana said, 'On the conclusion of this speech, that best of kings, Yayati, was then addressed by Vasumat in the following words.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment