Saturday, May 20, 2017

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA - AADI PARVA - SAMBHAVA (UPA) PARVA - PART 82


"Vaishampaayana said, 'Yayaati then, on returning to his capital which was like to the city of (Lord) Indra, entered his inner apartments and established there his bride Devayani. The monarch (Yayaati), directed by Devayani, established Vrishaparvaa's daughter Sharmishtaa in a mansion especially erected near the artificial forest of Asokas in his gardens. The king surrounded Vrishaparvaa's daughter Sharmishtaa with a thousand maids and honoured her by making every arrangement for her food and garments. But it was with Devayani that the royal son of Nahusha sported like a Deva for many years in joy and bliss.

"When her season came, the fair Devayani conceived. She brought forth as her first child a fine boy. When a thousand years had passed away, Vrishaparvaa's daughter Sarmishtha having attained to puberty (adolescence) saw that her season had come. She became anxious and said to herself, 'My season has arrived. But I have not yet chosen a husband. O, what has happened, what should I do? How am I to obtain the fruition of my wishes? Devayani has become mother. My youth is doomed to pass away in vain. Shall I choose him also for my husband whom Devayani has chosen? This is, indeed, my resolve: that monarch (Yayaati) should give me a son. Will not the one of Dharma, grant me a private interview?'

"Vaishampaayana continued, 'While Sharmishtaa was thus busy with her thoughts, the king (Yayaati) wandering lethargically came to that very forest of Asokas, and seeing Sharmishtaa before him, stood there in silence. Then Sharmishtaa of sweet smiles seeing the monarch before her with nobody to witness what might pass, approached him and said with joined palms, 'O son of Nahusha, no one can see the ladies that dwell in the inner apartments of Soma, of (Lord) Indra, of Vishnu, of Yama, of Varuna, and of you! You know, O king, that I am both beautiful and well-born. I request you, O king! My (mating) season has arrived. See that it does go not in vain.'


"Yayaati answered, 'Well I do know that honour of birth is yours, as you are born in the proud race of the Danavas (Asuras). You are also gifted with beauty. I do not, indeed, see even the spot of a fault in your feature. But Ushanas (Shukra) commanded me, while I was united with Devayani, that never should Vrishaparvaa's daughter (Sharmishtaa) be summoned to my bed.'

"Sharmishtaa then said, 'O king (Yayaati), it has been said that it is not sinful to lie on the occasion of a joke, in respect of women sought to be enjoyed, on occasions of marriage, in danger of immediate death and of the loss of one's whole fortune. Lying is excusable on these five occasions. O king, it is not true that he is fallen who speaks not the truth when asked. Both Devayani and myself have been called here as companions to serve the same purpose. Therefore, when you had said that you would confine yourself to one only among as, that was a lie you had spoken.' 

"Yayaati replied, 'A king should ever be a model in the eyes of his people. That king certainly meets with destruction who speaks an untruth. As for myself, I dare not speak an untruth even if the greatest loss threatens me!'

"Sharmishtaa answered, 'O monarch, one may look upon her friend's husband as her own. One's friend's marriage is the same as one's own. You have been chosen by my friend as her husband. You are as much my husband, therefore.' 

"Yayaati then said, 'It is, indeed my vow always to grant what one asks. As you ask me, tell me then what I am to do.'

"Sharmishtaa then said, 'Free me, O king, from sin. Protect my Dharma. Becoming a mother by you, let me practise the highest Dharma in this world. O king, it is said that a wife, a slave, and a son can never earn wealth for themselves. What they earn always belongs to him who owns them. I am, indeed, the slave of Devayani. You are Devayani's master and lord. You are, therefore, O king, my master and lord as much as Devayani's! I request you! O, fulfil my wishes!'

"Vaishampaayana continued, 'Thus addressed by Sharmishtha, the king was persuaded into the truth of all she spoke. He therefore, honoured Sarmishtha by protecting her Dharma. They passed some time together. Taking affectionate farewell of each other, they then parted, each returning to from the place he or she had come.

"It came to pass that Sharmishtaa of sweet smiles and fair eyebrows conceived in consequence of that connection of hers with that best of monarchs. O king (Janamejaya), that lotus-eyed lady then in due course of time brought forth a son of the splendour of a divine child and of eyes like-lotus-petals.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment