Sunday, February 12, 2017

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA - AADI PARVA - PAUSHYA (UPA) PARVA - PART 3(B)


"Then Veda the other disciple of (Rishi) Ayoda-Dhaumya was called. His Guru (Rishi Ayoda-Dhaumya) once addressed him, saying, 'Veda, my child, stay for some time in my house and serve your Guru. It shall be to your advantage.' Veda having signified his approval stayed long in the family of his Guru mindful of serving him. Like an ox under the load of his master, he (Veda) bore heat and cold, hunger and thirst, at all times without a murmur. It was not long before his Guru (Rishi Ayoda-Dhaumya) was satisfied. As a consequence of that satisfaction, Veda obtained good fortune and universal knowledge. This was the trial of Veda.

"Veda, having received permission from his Guru (Rishi Ayoda-Dhaumya), and leaving the Guru's residence after the completion of his studies, entered the domestic mode of life (Grihastaashrama in Sanskrit). While living in his own house, he (Veda) got three students. He never told them to perform any work or to obey completely his own instructions; for having himself experienced much difficulty while abiding in the family of his Guru, he did not like to treat them (his students) with severity.

"After a certain time, Janamejaya and Paushya, both of the order of Kshatriyas, arriving at his (Veda's) residence appointed the Brahman Veda, as their spiritual guide (Upadhyaya in Sanskrit). One day while about to leave upon some business related to a yajna, he employed one of his disciples, Utanka, to take charge of his household. He said, 'Utanka, whatever should have to be done in my house, let it be done by you without neglect.' Having given these orders to Utanka, he (Veda) went on his journey.

"So, Utanka always mindful of the order of his Guru took up his stay in the Guru's house. While Utanka was residing there, the females of his Guru's house having assembled addressed him and said, 'O Utanka, your Guru matha is in that season when marriage-related connection might be fruitful. The Guru is absent; then you stand in his place and do the needful.' Utanka, thus addressed, said to those women, 'It is not proper for me to do this at the request of women. I have not been encourage by my Guru to do anything at all that is improper.'

"After a while, his Guru returned from his journey. His Guru (Veda) having learnt all that had happened, became well-pleased and, addressing Utanka, said, 'Utanka, my child, what favour shall I grant on you? I have been served by you duly; therefore has our friendship for each other increased. I therefore grant you leave to depart. You go and let your wishes be accomplished!'

"Thus addressed, Utanka replied, saying, "Let me do something that you wish, for it has been said, 'He who grants instruction (i.e. knowledge) contrary to Dharma and he who receives it contrary to Dharma, one of the two dies, and enmity springs up between the two.-- I am desirous of bringing you some honorarium (Guru Dakshina in Sanskrit) due to a Guru, as I have received your leave to depart.' 

"His master (Veda), upon hearing this, replied, 'Utanka, my child, wait a while.' Sometime after, Utanka again addressed his Guru, saying, 'Command me to bring that for Guru Dakshina, which you desire.' His Guru (Veda) then said, 'My dear Utanka, you have often told me of your desire to bring something by way of acknowledgment for the instruction you have received. Go then in and ask your Guru matha what you are to bring. You bring that which she directs.'

"Thus directed by his Guru (Veda), Utanka addressed his Guru matha, saying, 'Madam, I have obtained my master's leave to go home, and I am desirous of bringing something agreeable to you as Guru Dakshina for the instruction I have received, in order that I may not leave as his debtor. Therefore, please command me what I am to bring.'

"Thus addressed, his Guru matha replied, 'Go to King Paushya and beg (Bhiksha in Sanskrit) of him the pair of ear-rings worn by his Queen, and bring them here. The fourth day from now is a sacred day when I wish to appear before the Brahmanas (who may dine at my house) decked with these ear-rings. Then accomplish this, O Utanka! If you should succeed, good fortune shall attend you; if not, what good can you expect?'

"Utanka thus commanded, took his departure. As he was passing along the road he saw a bull of extraordinary size and a man of uncommon height mounted thereon (the bull). That man addressed Utanka and said, 'You eat the dung of this bull.' However, Utanka was unwilling to obey. The man said again, 'O Utanka, eat of it without inspection. Your master ate of it before.' Utanka signified his acceptance and ate of the dung and drank of the urine of that bull, and rose respectfully, and washing his hands and mouth went to where King Paushya was.

"On arriving at the palace, Utanka saw (King) Paushya seated (on his throne). Approaching him Utanka saluted the monarch (King Paushya) by pronouncing blessings and said, 'I have come as a petitioner to you.' King Paushya, having returned Utanka's salutations, said, 'Sir, what shall I do for you?' Utanka said, 'I came to beg of you a pair of ear-rings as a present to my Guru matha. It is your duty to give me the ear-rings worn by the Queen.'


"King Paushya replied, 'Go, Utanka, into the female castle where the Queen is and demand them of her.' Utanka went into the women's castle. But as he could not discover the Queen, he again addressed the king (Paushya), saying, 'It is not proper that I should be treated by you with trickery. Your Queen is not in the private castle, for I could not find her.' The king (Paushya) thus addressed, considered for a while and replied, 'Recollect Sir (Uttanka) with attention, whether you are not in a state of dirtyness in consequence of contact with the impurities of a meal. My Queen is a chaste wife (Pathni in Sanskrit) and cannot be seen by any one who is impure owing to contact with the leavings of a meal. Nor does she herself appear in sight of any one who is dirty.'

"Thus informed, Utanka thought for a while and then said, 'Yes, it must be so. Having been in a hurry I performed my ablutions (after meal) in a standing posture.' King Paushya then said, 'Here is a wrongdoing, purification is not properly effected by one in a standing posture, not by one while he is going along.' Utanka having agreed to this, sat down with his face towards the east, and washed his face, hands, and feet thoroughly. He then, without a noise, sipped thrice of water free from dirt and froth, and not warm, and just sufficient to reach his stomach and wiped his face twice (Achamanya in Sanskrit). He then touched with water the apertures of his organs (eyes, ears, etc.)

"Having done all this, he once more entered the castle of the women. This time he saw the Queen. As the Queen recognised him, she saluted him respectfully and said, 'Welcome Sir, command me what I have to do.' Utanka said to her, 'It is your duty to give me those ear-rings of yours. I beg them as a present for my Guru matha.' The Queen having been highly pleased with Utanka's behaviour and, considering that Utanka as an object of charity could not be passed over, took off her ear-rings and gave them to him. She said, 'These ear-rings are very much sought after by Takshaka, the King of snakes (Nagas). Therefore, you should carry them with the greatest care.'

"Utanka being told this, said to the Queen, 'Lady, be under no worry. Takshaka, Chief of the serpents, is not able to overtake me.' Having said this, and taking leave of the Queen, he went back into the presence of (King) Paushya, and said, 'Paushya, I am pleased.' Then Paushya said to Utanka, 'A fit object of charity can only be given after a long period of time. You are a qualified guest, therefore do I desire to perform a sraddha. You stay for a sometime.'

"Utanka replied, 'Yes, I will stay, and beg that the clean provisions (of food) that are ready may be soon brought in.' The king (Paushya) having signified his acceptance, entertained Utanka duly. Utanka seeing that the food placed before him had hair in it, and also that it was cold, thought it unclean. He said to (King) Paushya, 'You gave me food that is unclean, therefore you shall lose your (eye)sight.' Paushya in answer said, 'Because you do represent uncleanliness to food that is clean, therefore you shall be without issue (children).' Utanka thereupon rejoined, 'It is your responsibility not, after having offered me unclean food, to curse me in return. Satisfy yourself by proof of your own vision (at the food).'

"(King) Paushya seeing the food alleged to be unclean satisfied himself of its uncleanliness. Paushya having confirmed that the food was truly unclean, being cold and mixed with hair, prepared as it was by a woman with untied (loose) hair, began to pacify the Rishi Utanka, saying, 'Sir, the food placed before you is cold, and does contain hair, having been prepared without sufficient care. Therefore I pray you to forgive me. Let me not become blind.'

"Utanka answered, 'What I said (in my curse) must happen. Having become blind, you may, however, recover the (eye)sight in a short span of time. Grant that your curse also does not take effect on me.' (King) Paushya said unto him, 'I am unable to revoke my curse. For my anger now has not been pacified. But you do not know this. For a Brahmana's heart is soft as new-churned butter, even though his words bear a sharp-edged sword. It is otherwise in respect of these with the Kshatriya. His (Kshatriya's) words are soft as new-churned butter, but his heart is like a sharp-edged tool, such being the case, I am unable, because of the hardness of my heart, to neutralise my curse. Then you go your own way.' 

"To this Utanka made answer, 'I showed you the uncleanliness of the food offered to me, and I was now pacified by you. Besides, you said at first that because I represent uncleanliness to food that was clean I should be without issue (children). But the food truly unclean, your curse cannot affect me. Of this I am sure.' Utanka having said this left with the ear-rings.

No comments:

Post a Comment